Author Topic: Counters and Inner Focus: Decay? No Skill? Max?  (Read 427 times)

Locterac

Counters and Inner Focus: Decay? No Skill? Max?
« on: November 22, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »
Recently I thought about attempting a Combat Ranger. While I do find a ranged playstyle amusing when it's a life or death situation with clutch sidesteps, I've been wanting to get into the thick of things with something a little more substantial. I have contemplated both Berserker and Engineer, but I find them fairly meh. I am also considering a left-click Warlock, but Warlocks I understand. It's Ranger mechanics that do not have solid info on. This leads to my questions:

What happens to a Ranger's Combat Counters generated by Inner Focus procs when you lack the skill that is tied to the Counter? Does it still generate the Counters? If so, do the Counters proc a level 0 version of the skill?

Do the Combat Counters generated by Inner Focus procs decay and drop off over time from lack of use/internal timer? If they do not decay, is there a maximum Counter count?

I assume only SelfBuff procs would trigger Inner Focus procs, but are there any skills that are not considered a SelfBuff but might also trigger Inner Focus procs, like Nature's Vengeance?

This brought me to start thinking about an odd and likely flawed build that didn't rely on every Combat SelfBuff, only, I don't have a Ranger and I like to perform research ahead of time, obviously riding on someone else's coattails of effort. I was considering investing ABSOLUTELY ZERO points into Thousand Cuts and Sweeping Strike, utilizing only BladeDancing for generating Counters. This entire build currently relies on pure assumption, a little hope, and fairy dust.

So, if Counters generated by Inner Focus do not decay and do not get used up if one has not invested in the skill to which the Counters belong, then there would be the potential for a stacking of physical damage and crit chance from Precision. If this is the case, it would make the Ranger a very, very heavy-hitting force. Why bother with second and third attacks procced via SelfBuff skills which have their maximum potential degrade over time as charges are used when you can load up on passive damage? Then, these bonuses would also carry over into skills like Nature's Vengeance and Thorns (with some weapon swapping, of course). Now this would also limit how many times you get life back from on-hit effects like Gift of Renewal and such, but it's just a thought for ramping up damage/crit on a Ranger.

I realize the people are likely busy attempting to further progress on the mod rather than digging through code and logic to answer my questions. I will be attempting to answer some of these questions myself... eventually. So, thank you for taking the time to read over my post and your hamsters' effort in turning your brain-wheels.

Locterac

Re: Counters and Inner Focus: Decay? No Skill? Max?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:10:08 AM »
So, I motivated myself enough to finally enact the "Unholy Rite of the Console" and tested my questions to some degree of understanding. May the following enlighten you. That is, unless you already knew and I was the only one in the dark... which would make me sad.

Counters for a SelfBuff seem to disappear when the SelfBuff times out, though if you spam the SelfBuffs enough, some of the Counters do seem to stay up after the SelfBuff times out, while a few more might drop off within the next few minutes. However, while these lagging Counters remain, one DOES receive the benefits of Precision for those Counters that remain after the SelfBuffs have timed out.

Inner Focus will only add Counters for a SelfBuff IF you use the same SelfBuff's proc to trigger it. e.g, Thousand Cuts will yield Thousand Cuts Counters, but not Sweeping Strike or BladeDancing, and the same is true for the other two. I tested this by running around with only one of the three SelfBuffs active. With an 18% chance you'd think I'd get a Thousand Cuts Counter after slaughtering most anything that moved in the first two areas on the way to the Wellspring. Such was not the case. I tested each of the 3 SelfBuffs in Combat separately.

It would be logical to conclude that one cannot generate Counters for a skill which one cannot proc, such as in the case of of those lagging Counters from spamming the SelfBuffs. The SelfBuff itself reads that it enables the proc, but the Counters are only how many times it might proc. I unfortunately only had this thought after I deleted the character and started on this post, so I did not test if by some chance having a Counter but no SelfBuff would trigger an Inner Focus proc.

As a side note, the proc rate for individual SelfBuffs listed under Inner Focus were dreadfully low in actual use. The rate of gathering Thunder Counters from ThunderStorm was far more satisfactory, even though it required a kill. If the proc rate for Inner Focus was much higher, it might actually pose as a viable investment, but for the 20 seconds you have for the SelfBuff active with the 5 (or 8) Counters available, you're not likely to see more than 1 additional Counter for Thousand Cuts every other time you refresh your Counters manually through activating the SelfBuff. Mind you, all of these numbers were tested at Rank 15 of each skill, at Character Level 100, so imagine how much worse it would be leveling up!

tl;dr Inner Focus is a waste of points. Spam SelfBuffs instead.